Google Cloud is a suite of Cloud Computing services offered by Google. The platform provides various services like compute, storage, networking, Big Data, and many more that run on the same infrastructure that Google uses internally for its end users like Google Search and YouTube
Google Cloud has been expanding across several fields such as
- Compute Services
- Storage Services
- Big Data Services
- Security and Identity Management
- Management Tools
- Cloud AI
- Google App Engine: Platform as a Service to deploy Java, PHP, and other applications. It is a Cloud Computing platform for developing and hosting web applications in Google-managed data centers. It offers the automatic scaling feature, i.e., as the number of requests for an application increases, the App Engine automatically allocates more resources for the application to handle additional demand.
- Compute Engine: Infrastructure as a Service to run Microsoft Windows and Linux virtual machines. It is a component of the Google Cloud platform which is built on the same infrastructure that runs Google’s search engine, YouTube, and other services.
- Kubernetes Engine: It aims at providing a platform for automating deployment, scaling, and operations of application containers across clusters of hosts. It works with a wide range of container tools including docker.
- Google Cloud Storage: An online file storage web service for storing and accessing data on a Google Cloud platform infrastructure. The service combines the performance and scalability of Google Cloud with advanced security and sharing capabilities.
- Cloud SQL: A web service that allows you to create, configure, and use relational databases that live in Google Cloud. It maintains, manages, and administers your databases allowing you to focus on your applications and services.
- Cloud Bigtable: A fast, fully managed, and a highly scalable NoSQL database service. It is designed for the collection and retention of data from 1 TB to hundreds of PB.
- VPC: Virtual Private Cloud provides a private network with IP allocation, routing, and network firewall policies to create a secure environment for your deployments.
- Cloud Load Balancing: It is a process of distributing workloads across multiple computing resources. This reduces the cost and maximizes the availability of the resources.
- Content Delivery Network: A geographically distributed network of proxy servers and their data centers. The goal here is to provide high availability and high performance by spatially distributing the service relating to end users.
- BigQuery: Google BigQuery Service is a fully managed data analysis service that enables businesses to analyse Big Data. It features highly scalable data storage, the ability to perform ad-hoc queries, and the ability to share data insights via the web.
- Google Cloud Datastore: A fully managed, schema less, non-relational datastore. It supports atomic transactions and a rich set of query capabilities and can automatically scale up and down depending on the load.
- Google Cloud Dataproc: A fast, easy-to-use and manage Spark and Hadoop service for distributed data processing. With Cloud Dataproc, you can create Spark or Hadoop clusters, sized for your workloads precisely when you need them.
- Cloud Machine Learning Engine: A managed service that will enable you to build Machine Learning models based on mainstream frameworks.
- Cloud AutoML: A Machine Learning product that enables developers to provide their data sets and obtain access to quality trained models by Google’s transfer learning and Neural Architecture Search.
- Google Stackdriver: Provides performance and diagnostics data in the form of monitoring, logging, tracing, error reporting, and alerting it to public cloud users.
- Google Cloud Console App: A native mobile application that enables customers to manage the key Google Cloud services. It provides monitoring, altering, and the ability to take actions on resources.
Identity and Security
- Cloud Data Loss Prevention API: It helps you manage sensitive data. It provides a fast and scalable classification for sensitive data elements like credit card numbers, names, passport numbers, and more.
- Cloud IAM: Cloud Identity and Access Management refers to a framework of policies and technologies for ensuring that proper people in an enterprise have the appropriate access to technology resources. It is also called identity management (IdM).
- Cloud IoT Core: It is a fully managed service that allows you to easily and securely connect, manage, and ingest data from devices that are connected to the Internet. It permits utilization of other Google Cloud services for collecting, processing, analysing, and visualizing IoT data in real time.
- Cloud IoT Edge: Edge computing brings memory and computing power closer to the location where it is needed
Google’s cloud computing services falls under two catagories.
- Through a set of popular applications offered to the general public, which include Google Docs, Google Health, Picasa, Google Mail, Google Earth etc
- Through Platform as a Service developer tools such as Google App Engine (GAE). It allows developers to create and deploy Web applications without worrying about managing the basic infrastructure requirements
- The following are among Google’s products aimed at the enterprise market:
- Google Commerce Search: A search service for online retailers that markets their products in their site searches with a number of navigation, filtering, promotion, and analytical functions.
- Google Site Search: Customized search engine for enterprises under the Google Site Search service banner. The user enters a search string in the site’s search, and Google returns the results from that site.
- Google Search Appliance(GSA): This server can be deployed within an organization to speed up both Intranet and Internet searching. These appliances have document management features, perform custom searches, cache content, and give local support to Google Analytics and Google Sitemaps.
- Google Mini: A smaller version of the GSA.
- Google uses different names for the different bundles(such as governments, schools, non-profits, and ISPs) under a branded program called Google Apps for Business.
- For business and other organizations such as governmental agencies, the company has a branded Google Apps Premier Edition, which is a paid service. The different versions offer Gmail, Docs, and Calendar as core applications.
- AdWords is a targeted ad service based on matching advertisers and their keywords to users and their search profiles.
- Responsible for the majority of Google’s revenue stream.
- Similar to Microsoft adcenter and Yahoo Search Marketing
- Ads are displayed as text, banners, or media and can be tailored based on geographical location, frequency, IP addresses, and other factors
- A statistical tool that measures the number and types of visitors to a Web site and how the Web site is used.
- It is offered as a free service and has been adopted by many Web sites.
- Google Translate performs machine translation of language as a cloud service to several languages.
- Translate uses a corpus linguistics approach to translation.
- The text-corpus method is a digestive approach that derives a set of abstract rules that govern a natural language from texts in that language, and explores how that language relates to other languages.