(CLOUD COMPUTING -APJ ABDUL KALAM TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY THIRD SEMESTER MCA DEGREE EXAMINATION, JULY 2018)
- Amazon SimpleDB is an attempt to create a high performance data store with many database features.
- The service is meant to be low touch, in that it abstracts many of the common concerns of database administrators for hardware requirements, software maintenance, indexing, and performance optimization.
- To create a high performance “simple” database, the data store is non-relational and joins are not supported.
- Data stored in SimpleDB domains are easily scalable and highly available.
- Transactions are performed as a set of conditional PUTS and DELETES, and you can INSERT, REPLACE, or DELETE values for item attributes.
- Features like ROLLBACK are not supported.
- Optimistic concurrency control is maintained using the value of a counter or timestamp.
- Capacity of SimpleDB database can be increased by scaling out and creating additional data domains.
- SimpleDB integrates with EC2 instances and S3 storage.
- Data in SimpleDB is automatically indexed and may be queried as needed.
- A data domain may be located geographically in any of AWS’s regions.
- Featured uses of SimpleDB are data logging, online gaming, and metadata indexing.
- SimpleDB would not be the best choice for a high-volume transaction system.